When you first discover mold in your home, what is the first remedy you think of? Bleach. That is why you came to this article, to understand why bleach is not the best choice for mold remediation. OSHA, CDC, and EPA all have flagged bleach as a hazardous chemical, in the same classification as gasoline, and have advised against the use of bleach with mold remediation.
Inefficiencies of Bleach on Mold
Bleach will not only be ineffective in ridding your home of mold but could also provoke mold growth. The reasoning lies within the scientific makeup of liquid bleach and the recommended method of using bleach. Liquid bleach contains water and chlorine, however, for safety concerns regarding the harsh corrosive properties of bleach, the recommended use is to dilute the bleach in water prior to use. The extra water in and with the bleach solution can cause mold to grow rather than die off; mold loves water. On bottles of bleach you will likely find a disclaimer that it is intended for use on non-porous surfaces only. Mold on porous surfaces, such as wood or drywall, have spread their spores into the pores of the materials. Bleach is not designed to penetrate the various tunnels of porous matter. This means only the surface mold is being killed and gives the illusion that your mold problem has been remedied.
Dangers of Bleach
Chlorine bleach, also known as household or liquid bleach, creates a chemical reaction when mixed with ammonia, letting off a deadly gas. Remember, that ammonia is a component of urine. Using bleach to rid your bathroom of mold or other unwanted grime can potentially create a hazardous gas in your bathroom, especially if proper ventilation is not present. Hazardous chlorine gas can also be created when bleach mixes with other household cleaners such as vinegar. Window cleaners, dish detergents and other cleaning agents can also negatively react with bleach and cause potential harm to you or those in your home.
Non-Bleach Mold Remedies
Anti-Microbial and Anti-Fungal washes are best when cleaning mold around the house. Mold is a fungus that cannot be killed with regular antibacterial household cleaners. However, proper use of these types cleaners is vital, and if the mold damage is severe a professional’s assistance is key to total remediation. The surface mold is all you see in most cases and a professional inspection is required to guarantee complete remediation. Imold has certified mold technicians ready to handle your toughest cases 24/7. Call our office or contact us through our website to set up an inspection and be sure your home is mold free. Let us handle the hard remedial work, because your safety is our top priority.