5 Reasons Why DIY Mold Removal Is A Bad Idea
With all the household cleaners and homemade recipes out there, you might think that handling mold yourself is no problem. You might have heard about the ways that mold can damage your home, making you eager to clean it up quickly. However, DIY mold removal is never enough to handle the threat in the long term. Mold is fast-spreading and destructive, costing Floridians millions in remediation and repairs every year.
There’s a reason that mold remediators must maintain a legal certification and license to operate in Florida. It’s because the risks are too high for homeowners to do by themselves, and mold removal requires tools beyond what’s available at your local home improvement store.
Mold Poses Health Risks
Calling in a professional is necessary to protect you and your family’s health. If you try DIY mold removal, you will inevitably spread mold spores throughout the air. Mold can spread when you disturb it, even with the gentle breeze of walking by it. Without the proper knowledge and protection of professional equipment, those spores find their way onto your skin, eyes, and lungs. It’s known to cause reactions similar to the flu or allergies, both in people with known allergies and those without.
Mold can cause:
- Skin rash and irritation
- Itchy, watery eyes
- Sneezing and coughing
- Asthma and respiratory issues
Professional mold removal experts will contain the affected area so that mold doesn’t spread throughout your home. They wear respirators and protective equipment to keep themselves safe, containing the mold spores. Working around mold is a hazard to yourself, and that’s why you should leave it to those with proper training and equipment.
You Could Make the Problem Worse
You know by now that mold spores can travel throughout the air. But they can also spread in water and on your clothes, shoes, and pets. If you try to do the job and remove mold yourself, you’ll actually make the problem much worse without even knowing. Those spores are microscopic and dormant, meaning that they can spread far and lie in wait until the perfect conditions arise.
Additionally, most homeowners don’t properly seal the mold-affected area, tracking spores all over their house. All that spore needs is a damp environment with a food source, and you could amplify the situation to be much bigger than when it started. In as few as 48 hours, mold can start to spread and grow, even on surfaces you feel like you cleaned thoroughly.
You Can’t Get Proper Equipment
When it comes to mold, surface cleaning simply doesn’t cut it. Mold feeds on organic materials, deteriorating and breaking down wood, drywall, and other surfaces. That means that mold requires heavy-duty cleaners and tools that aren’t available on the commercial market. You’ve probably read DIY mold removal tips about making your own concoctions, but nothing can kill mold below the surface – and permanently – like a professional can. Only a mold removal expert will be able to test before, during, and after to check mold levels and make sure the job gets done right.
Visible mold is only one sign that it’s started to infect your home. Often, mold has already begun to take over and cause damage by the time you see it. Worse, spores can find their way behind your walls and into your car, causing further issues and potential damage. If you try to remove mold yourself, you’re bound to miss spots that you can’t see for yourself.
Pros use technology that detects mold spores on contaminated surfaces not yet showing visible signs. They can find mold under flooring, behind cabinets, and in the ceiling. The only way to prevent future mold is to take care of the job the first time, so finding a mold removal company that offers a satisfaction guarantee is so important.
Too Much to Do Yourself
Have you ever started a do-it-yourself home improvement project, only to realize that you’re in over your head? That’s almost always the experience of homeowners dealing with mold because the truth is that it’s a big, dirty job. Killing and removing mold involves more than a spray bottle and some rags; it’s personal protective gear, industrial-strength cleaners, and certified experience. If you’re in the middle of clean-up and start to feel overwhelmed, your best bet is to stop and immediately call in a professional. They can tackle the source of the mold, including resolving any water damage.
Skip DIY Mold Removal
Calling in a team of mold removal professionals is the only way to solve your mold problem for good. Although it’s tempting to try it yourself first, the risks simply aren’t worth it. At iMold, our mold removal technicians provide a fast response and guaranteed results. We’ll use every resource available to restore your property to its original condition, including personal belongings.