Once water gets into your home, it will go anywhere it wants. It can penetrate walls and floors and stand still in hidden places. Some people can sense water leaks and some even hear them. But, the rest of us have to recognize signs that indicate there might be a problem. Here are six sign you will need water damage services in Fort Myers, FL:
- Actively Growing Mold: Mold is nature’s decomposer as it helps break down dead substances. It creates spores, which are microscopic cells that travel through the air. Many people believe mold is only present when they see it growing, but mold spores are always present. Other than food left too long in the refrigerator, mold spores pose no threat, unless they land on a wet or damp spot and grow, then it can cause a lot of damage and potential health effects. It usually looks fuzzy, greenish, or black (black mold is a serious problem) and sometimes has a foul odor.
- Unpleasant Odors: Dampness leaves behind a definite earthy smell. Dampness can lead to mold and bacteria growth, which also smells very unpleasant. Certain houses, especially older ones, may have a nasty smell, but if it’s overpowering, it’s concerning.
- Stains or Discolorations: Water that oozes into the spaces between floors, spaces, and walls often leaves splotches and streaks on floors and walls. This can often times cause permanent, unattractive water marks on the surface.
- Drooping Ceilings and Walls: Drywall and/or wood absorb water slowly and then buckle. Such can happen suddenly, due to a storm, or over a period of time, as the result of a leak. If it collapses, it can cause a safety hazard.
- Peeling Paint: In areas and spaces that don’t have windows or exhaust fans, like bathrooms and basements, moisture can seep around and into drywall. Usually, brown stains start first, then, the moisture loosens the paint’s grip on the wall and it starts to peel.
- Subfloor Problems: Water almost always seeps underneath tile, carpet, and vinyl and saturates the subfloor, making removal and replacement necessary.
Incidents that cause water problems include, but are certainly not limited to:
- Gutter and sewage problems
- Broken water pipes
- Overflowing toilets and tubs
- Sump pump issues
- Hot water heater leaks
As mentioned, just one strong storm could lead to serious damage that takes an expense that will take experts hours to fix, so it’s probably best to act quickly if one suspects water is damaging their home. And, sometimes the damage is hard to see at first, so one has to be very diligent and always observant. Contact iMold today for a consultation.
Get $100 Off
Your Next Mold Remediation or Water Damage iMold Service
Your information is 100% secure with us and will never be shared.
- 6900 Daniels Pkwy Ste 29-372
Fort Myers, FL, US, 33912