We don’t usually think of mold as anything helpful, especially here at iMold. We are often battling mold, and getting rid of it in homes and businesses. However, according to a report by the Smithsonian, a new use for some gross mold has been found, specifically the mold that you might think grows on your bread if you don’t eat it in enough time. This unsavory mold is usually scowled at by would-be bread eaters who are disappointed that their potential toast has been turned into a gross mess, but it could be helpful, in powering batteries specifically.
The specific type of mold being studied is known as red bread mold, or formally as neurospora crassa. However, though this mold has the word bread in the name, it was simply discovered on a piece of bread, but isn’t actually the one you would find at home. Scientists have discovered that using this mold can change manganese chloride into compounds that have manganese oxide, which has electric properties. In fact, manganese oxides are often used in lithium batteries. The manganese oxides developed through mold have proven to be especially promising because they are of an ideal density and are also pretty stable. After 200 charges, these manganese oxides only lost 10% of their charging power.
However, when you see mold around your house, it’s not best to think of it in terms of how well it could charge your batteries. The scientists working with these molds are working in controlled laboratories and have all sorts of safety equipment. Plus, it’s unlikely that the mold in your home is this genre of mold that could actually be helpful. It’s more likely to be a mold that is harmful to your health, and your family’s health. Call a mold remediation expert when you encounter mold in your quarters to avoid serious health problems and to put your mind at ease!
Get $100 Off
Your Next Mold Remediation or Water Damage iMold Service
Your information is 100% secure with us and will never be shared.
- 6900 Daniels Pkwy Ste 29-372
Fort Myers, FL, US, 33912