Living in Naples, Florida comes with thousands of positive qualities. However, along with the beauty and warmth that each day brings, comes the possibility of mold. Mold can grow in every home, but warmer climates tend to encourage the growth, which can darken areas of your home and cause illness. Below is a guide to finding and removing mold from your home.
The first step to removing mold from your home is identifying mold and where it’s growing. To find mold, go to the places of your home that remain dark and damp for long periods of time. Telltale signs of mold are:
- Smell – If there is a lot of mold in a part of your home, you can usually smell it before you see it. Mold produces that musty odor that we associate with old homes. If your home smells musty and like it needs to “air out,” then there is the possibility that there are pockets of mold hiding around you. Check under carpets and furniture if you haven’t been able to spot any obvious signs of it.
- Dark spots – Dark spots on the walls of your home are a big sign that you’ve got mildew. While mildew isn’t something you want around you, this is an easy mold to get rid of because it is only on the surface of walls. The easy test for mildew is to swab the dark surface with some bleach. If the spot lightens up, it’s mildew. If it doesn’t, it might be a different kind of mold or dirt.
- Visible rot – Prolonged mold growth will result in rot. If you see a part of your home crumbling and generally not looking healthy, mold may be the culprit.
Once you’ve found signs of mold in your home, the next step is to remove it. Most molds won’t make you seriously ill, but there are some varieties that could spell trouble for you and your family. That’s why removing mold is so important. There are some precautions to take when working to remove the mold from your Naples home.
- Wear old clothes – In the case that you encounter mold that has a negative effect on you, you’ll want to wear clothes that you can throw away after cleaning. You also run the risk of destroying clothes you love with any bleach products you are using to clean around your home and remove mold pockets.
- Turn off heating or cooling systems – Mold can spread through your ventilation systems, so while you’re working on any part of your home, turn off your heating and cooling systems to prevent spreading mold.
- Check for soft spots – Sometimes mold is present without any visible signs. While wearing gloves, feel around walls and check for spots that seem softer than they should be. Mushy dry wall is a classic sign that there is rot on the inside that’s hidden from sight.
- Wear protective gear – While cleaning, make sure to wear protective gloves, goggles and a face mask. Mold spores could irritate lungs and eyes, while bleach products may irritate your skin. Being too cautious is always better than not being cautious enough.
- Remove moldy items from your home – This is an absolute must: If you find mold on carpets or furniture, throw it out. Keeping it only assures that your mold problem will come back again with a vengeance.
Get $100 Off
Your Next Mold Remediation or Water Damage iMold Service
Your information is 100% secure with us and will never be shared.
- 6900 Daniels Pkwy Ste 29-372
Fort Myers, FL, US, 33912