Floods are a serious business. They are dangerous events usually caused by rain storms and strong weather, however, when all of the damage is cleaned up, there is another culprit to worry about and that is mold. Mold can grow within 24-48 hours after a flood, according to the CDC, so cleaning up as quickly as possible is paramount. However, going back to your home directly after a flood isn’t necessarily the safest idea, so they have put out some guidelines as far as how to enter your recently flooded home and remain safe.
First of all, when you enter the home, you will need to turn off the power first if there is still standing water. If you can do that from a dry location, then go for it, but if you will need to enter the water to do that, you need to call an electrician first. This will delay the overall cleanup but your life is worth it. In addition, do not use any electronic devices or appliances in water. Electricity travels fast through water, electrocuting, often fatally, anyone in its path. That’s why you have to get out of the lake or pool when a thunderstorm comes. Once the power is off, call an electrician to come check out the circuits before you turn it back on again.
If you haven’t been able to get back to your home for a few days, assume it is infested with mold and call a local mold remediation service. You do not want to come into contact with those mold spores as they could be toxic and cause you long lasting health problems. If you haven’t been back to your flooded home in a few days, you can also assume that it is infested with toxic sewage, which is another good reason to call in a professional. Floods can be very devastating, but they don’t have to be as worrisome when you’ve got a good mold remediation company on your team!
Get $100 Off
Your Next Mold Remediation or Water Damage iMold Service
Your information is 100% secure with us and will never be shared.
- 6900 Daniels Pkwy Ste 29-372
Fort Myers, FL, US, 33912