Mold has been around forever. It is even mentioned in the Bible, and there are strict rules of how mold was to be dealt with at that time. However, it wasn’t until the early 1920’s that modern people started to put two and two together, and realized that mold could cause some illnesses. At this time, it was horses who first pointed to the fact that there was a problem. They began to fall ill in Ukraine with weird symptoms which included respiratory problems, bleeding and nervous system issues. Some of these horses would just fall over, dead. The cause of these deaths wasn’t discovered for another 20 years, by Russian scientists who were investigating this scourge of horse deaths. They found that the feed being given to the horses was moldy.
They found that the hay and feed the sick horses were given was infested with Stachybotrys Chartarum, or what we know now as black mold. Just to be sure, they gave some of the toxic mold to healthy horses, and many of them got sick and some died. However, though they had finally identified what was causing the horses to become ill, they didn’t know why the mold made them sick. This discovery happened about 30 years later in the 1970’s when scientists found that the culprit was a specific mycotoxin called Trichothecene.
It is sad that many horses – and likely some people too – had to die in the search for what was making people and animals mysteriously ill, but these days, we know exactly how mold makes people ill and we are here to help you avoid mold, but, if you do get a mold problem in your home or business, we are also here to help you figure out what to do. Always call a mold remediation professional if you need help with a mold problem, since that will be much easier than trying to figure it out on your own!
Get $100 Off
Your Next Mold Remediation or Water Damage iMold Service
Your information is 100% secure with us and will never be shared.
- 6900 Daniels Pkwy Ste 29-372
Fort Myers, FL, US, 33912